Sunday, March 16, 2014

People that put their passion before them being comfortable.

Last Friday I left for a Bridging Cultures trip with MCC.

I am incredibly fortunate to be handed so many opportunities this semester, its honestly changing me faster than I can keep up with.


We went to Tuscon, learned about border patrol, drug smuggling,the environmental detriments due to the WALL and the complicated process of legal application for citizenship.

Did you know citizenship application from mexico in 1993 are just now getting reviewed?. 

Someone who applied for legal citizenship would have to wait my lifetime.

I was greatly impacted by my perception of ignorance surrounding the border issue, and of course had another social justice issue to add to my list of passions. I don't mind. Id rather be informed and "angry" then blissfully apathetic

The next day we went to the Tohono O'odham Nation and learned about the effects of migrants and border patrol.

Did you know United Stated Border Patrol uses large amounts of  Tohono O'odham Nation land and only pays a $1 lease per year.


I had this crazy experience on top of a sacred mountain which consisted of me feeling completely connected to all humans, and consequently crying uncontrollably to the presenter afterward.
It was awesome.

  I saw the same passion and determination in her that I recognize within myself. I also saw her facing the same adversity. I saw her doing the dirty work. The hard work. The work that makes people think you are crazy and makes you lose friends and exhausts you to the point of laying awake at night. The work that opens peoples eyes and changes peoples heart at a glacier pace. I saw myself in her and it made me sad that our lives are both destined to be hard. But I also saw the same response to the struggle we both face.  We couldn't chose any other path, even if we wanted to, which we don't.

We then drove from Tucson to LA and I got road sickness for the first time ever, which was a neat experience.

While in LA we went to Cycadelic Records in Compton to learn about the Rodney King riots as well as the friction within Compton today.
Our Presenter , Lucia  was a female who spoke of growing up in Compton, who spoke of issues I recognize every day within my own town . She spoke my language, sociology terminology rhythmical flowing in her sentences, her passion for her education apparent.
A midst her sea of words she said a sentence I'm sure she never intended to be so impact-full.
"Im trying to write the book I never read"

That only sums up the reason for every single thing I do and every aspiration I have.

I asked her about her schooling after the presentation.
She informed me of her bachelors, and 2 masters all in fields of sociology and her current pursuit of her PhD.
Upon asking her age she answered "26."


Damn.




I have always hated the quote "You can not be what you can not see"

Its often used in feminist movement persuasion.

I never agreed with it because I feel like I have stood for many things I never saw someone stand for, and Im not someone who looks to see if others are doing it before I do so myself.
However, I will tell you, the most impact people in my life are females who do the unexpected. And in turn I believe I can do so too.

I never aspired to achieve a  Masters Degree until I met Mona Scott, who overcame unthinkable opposition to succeed.

And I never wanted 2 Masters until this weekend when I met Lucia.

The drive home from LA was filled more contemplation then I expected from this 4 day trip. Contemplation about social justice, about humanity, about my schooling and life choices.
I made a lot of decisions, but the one I am most sure in is that I now plan on getting 2 masters.
One in Human Sexuality
And one in Race.



BE what you can not see.

1 comment: