Saturday, May 12, 2012

So do it now.

So, as you know.

My summer started last weekend.

However  it was not yet free and easy.

I had Phoenix Theater Auditions looming overhead.


Phoenix Theater is a paying venue (which is uhhh...the opposite of what im used to)
...its the real deal....


So compared to my community theater auditions, this one was a big hitter.





Lemme back up.

About a month ago.

I was with Michal and she said "Im scheduling your PT audition.", because Michal aspires to aid me in growing into the woman I want to be,  and my inner thoughts went "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIHATESCARYTHINGSANDIAVOIDTHEM"

But i was like.... "Yeah....actually....do it...."


Because I guess somewhere in me there is a part of me that actually wants to grow as a person.

Anyway, i worked moderately hard to prepare for the auditions.
read books, prepared music,worked hard to find the perfect monologue (Which, like the perfect man, doesn't exist.)





Nothing impressive.

Most of the preparation came in the final week (this week).


I've learned  A LOOOOTTTT about auditioning since my former auditionsssss



Britanees Auditions 101:

  • Dress like you own the place.
  • Walk in like you own the place
  • Shmooooze the hell out of everyone in the room
  • Be genuinely happy to be there, and make it known
  • Bring all of your material in a binder (headshots,music etcccc)
  • give the music to the pianist in a direction that DOESNT showcase your butt to the auditiors. 

Lets go ahead and pause here:
Normally, my butt is the money maker, but in this instance, it shows professionalism.
  • sing your face off
  • you MEANT to do everything exactly as it came out. Regardless of whether that is truly the case.
  • You have 5 minutes of their time. Its yours. SHOW THEM YOU ARE WHAT THEY ARE LOOKING FOR.they want you to be. 



Now you can all successfully audition.

Your Welcome

Credit to the book "Audition" and my Audition instructor Jere VanPatten.




Today.

I gave the best audition of my life.

I walked in cheerful with great energy, I shmooozed (HOLLAR TO MY FELLOW CANDIANNNSS), I made them love me, I beamed confidence,  I sang my face off (regardless of its resemblance to the written notes) I monolouged my face off. I left it on the floor.

I owned my 5 minute audition.


Thankfully, auditions dont scare me anymore. At least not NEARLY as much.

A friend once compared them to First dates, its being judged by people you dont know, who dont know you.


but, much like first dates, I know if that one doesnt work out, i got PLENTY more lined up, so I dont get so worried anymore.



saucy.




I dont know how to explain the relief that comes with finishing an audition. I truly believe its a feeling only a performer knows.


It was a good experience. Im not as scared of the world as i used to be. Things that seemed unreachable arnt so much anymore.




We'll see how long it lasts.




I rewarded myself with a chipotle burrito and a DANCE PARRRTYYY on my way home from work.


It got intense.


I dont dance ANYTHING but HARD.





So now, its officially summer and i have some BIG plans.


First im gonna clean my room.



No, im serious.


I know....Im getting too crazy.


And then im going to Open Auditions for Second City.....






























1 comment: