Monday, July 16, 2012

Summer stinks and winters waiting , welcome to New York

I AM IN LOVE WITH NEW YORK.





WEDNESDAY:
Land at JFK 
On the drive to Dahlyas I noted 2 things:

  • The fashion there is fierce
  • and the men are unbelievably attractive.

get to Dahlyas
get on my first subway(which I was very scared about)
I was telling everyone it was my first time, I made a friend.She was very nice.
Then Dahlya showed me some shops on her way to a class she attended, and i was then left to my own for 3 hour. I spent the time exploring, admiring the buildings shopping and reading.
Then I met back with Dahlya and we walked to this place called "The High Line" which is an elevated nature walk with a phenomenal view of both the city and the Hudson Bay.
We ate lunch at Chelsea Market (which is apparently super famous) and looked around at all the precious pastry and dessert shops.
Then we walked back to the apartment and watched some TV settled in
As we were chillin all thees sirens started going off and megaphones were blaring with muffled cop voices and I was like "whatda?"

We go down there and the street is closed because of the sunset?
Yeah.....
There are just loads of people watching the sunset in the street....

Then we walk to the subway and its closed for an investigation.
And there are all thees cops buzzinnnn


Initially, I had been worried about getting raped or mugged, however I never once felt even a tad scared.
I was thrown off by the amount of walking.
My shoes were unprepared....


THURSDAY:

We woke up.
Walked through Central Park (which was gorgeous)
then we went to time square

which was a lot to take in
BUT COOL.(4STORYFOREVER21)


then we trained to a place called SMAC which is only mac and cheese.


It was super good.
then we went to a super gorgeous part of town with cool buildings and walked around checkin out the felllasssssss


Then we went and watched some improv, it was funnnyyy
then we went to Lincon Center and bumped into  "Midsummer Night Swing" did some dancing
We walked past the MET and JULLIARD which I stared at for a long time.

Then on the subway home Dahl asked me if I saw a cute guy if I would ever just walk up to him and ask for his number, and I said I would. As soon as I said it I regretted it , knowing I would have to prove what I said. I told her as long as I got to pick the guy.
On the walk home Dahlya pointed out a guy (who was a studddd) and I shook my head "No" cuz I was so scared. He walked past me, heading across the street
Dahlya said "You missed your chance"
To which I replied by jumping off the curb and running across the street to catch him
I walked up to him and said "Excuse me, I was wondering if you could give me directions. Im looking for your number. So....which way would I go ......." I said gesturing different directions.
He laughed and very graciously said "Uhhh I actually already have someone...."
Thats all I remember before the blood was pounding so hard in my ears that I couldn't hear anymore
I shook my head and mumbled "No, yeah, of course," smiling and walking away
He pulled me back saying "Im flattered tho"

"Sure thing"

And then I ran back to Dahlya on my shaky knees and we giggled.
Then on the walk home there was this group of 5 Italian bro's and Dahlya joked "This whole group" and I immediately flashed em the smile and said "Hey fellas" and the whole group went "EYYYYYYYYYY BOBIDEE BOOPPIDEEEEE"



Finally we got cookies from Insomnia Cookies and went back home


FRIDAY:
Walked down the Hudson bay for about 4 miles until we got to downtown Manhattan
We then went to the 9/11 memorial building and the Twin tower memorial site.




9/11 is still very real in NY. People talk about it all the time. My shuttle driver told me how united it made the city, and how much safer. My friend on the subway agreed also.
Its crazy, I met a girl who's dad was across from the Twin towers when the plane hit, and her friends parents died in the attack. 


I mean its a big deal out here too, but not at all like it is there.
Its eye opening.


There is a super old cemetery across from the memorial site, like from the 1700's.
Dahl and I walked through it and the first headstone we read was that of a woman who died September 11th 1778

Creeeeeepy rightttttt?

Then we went to Brooklyn to see a show in the park that Dahlyas friend was stage managing, which ended up getting rained out.
I really like Brooklyn
An old black man called me sweetheart.
And the houses are cute, and its less fast paced.


SATURDAY:
We woke up butt early for how late we got home the night before.
I was determined to win the NEWSIES lottery.
So we trained on down to to Time Square and stood in line and did the whole shindig
we lost the lottery, but we were offered STANDING ROOM ONLY FOR 30$ which we took.

NEWSIES WAS SO PHENOMENAL I WAS SQUEELING I WAS SO HAPPY.
TOO MUCH GOODNESS.

Then we trained home and watched TV and rested and then went out to an improv show, which was also hilarious.


SUNDAY
slept in like crazy.
woke up.
bought some last minute stuff
got on a shuttle



I just barely made it on the flight because someone didnt show up, so I got their spot.
then we sat at the gate for 40 minutes waiting for a new pilot because the other one had an emergency
then, when we finally push away from the gate, we find out JFK had halted all westbound departures.
so we sat on the runway for 2 hours

lemme tell you....
Any kind of plane mishap while in New York was a little unsettling....


They were talking about sending us back to the gate and I was getting panicked because I had no idea how else I would get back home and where I would stay in the mean time and yada yada


Luckily tho, we got to take off.

I loved everything about NY.
I loved the tall buildings, I loved the hustle of the city, I loved the people, I loved taking the subway, I loved the food.

Also, being there with Dahlya was such an inspiration because I saw her working so hard to achieve her dream.She's not like one of those theater kids who is like "Im gona move to NY and get famous der der derrrrr"
Shes doing an internship and taking classes and learning all the time about what she wants to do.
Not to mention she has the courage to actually do it.Im terrified of doing half the things she does everyday.

Being surrounded by so much performing in NY made me rethink my goals and reassess what I really want.
It made me want to work harder as a performer and put myself out there a lot more.


I GET WHY SO MANY PEOPLE BLINDLY MOVE OUT THERE. THE PLACE SUCKS YOU IN.













1 comment:

  1. I love, love, LOVE this post! So happy you had such a wonderful time. Chase after your dreams, you funny girl!

    ReplyDelete